[ExI] trivia

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Jul 14 22:32:38 UTC 2020

> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Subject: [ExI] trivia

Fort Knox has about 46 metric tons of gold, valued at about 230 billion dollars.

A drop in the bucket, eh?

bill w

I have long advocated making up the Federal budget deficit by selling the gold in Fort Knox.  That would enable savings in guarding the place and the proceeds alone could cover the budget deficit, balancing the budget for several months.  The value of the gold in Fort Knox could nearly cover the cost of the proposed basic assured income for a month.  All it would take is that gold in Fort Knox, and we get almost an entire month of basic income.  Such a deal!

However… with the current exchange rate, the Ft. Knox gold is worth about 6 billion dollars, which would cover the interest on the current Federal debt for nearly a week.