[ExI] A video tour of the ALCOR facility

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 07:59:01 UTC 2020

Dylan Distasio <interzone at gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> Fate willing, I'm still hoping to live long enough for some
aging reversal breakthroughs as well, so I'm hoping to prolong this first
round.

That's already happening.  Like my Mom, I developed age-related
macular degeneration at about the same age.  She went more or less
blind, could not read, a disaster since she was an author.

But since then, the medical profession developed a treatment that they
used on me.  It's kind of drastic, they stick a needle right into your
eyeball every 6 to 8 weeks and inject an inhibitor to the growing
blood vessels that are ruining your vision.  In my case, it completely
reversed the degeneration.

snip

> I'm already attempting to slow aging through a number of
pharmaceutical and nutriceutical interventions, but have no idea if that
bet will pay off either.

I think I have talked about this on Extropians.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alagebrium

I have used it for almost 20 years now.  I started using it as a
remarkable remover of plaque.  Discovered accidentally that it
completely reversed angina for me.

I was on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotinamide_riboside for a
couple of years before Science had three articles in one issue about
it doing such things as extending the lifespan of mice.  Made me feel
kind of smug.

snip

Yes, still in contact with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._U._Sirius

> I have to say though, I'm a bit disappointed how far away we seem to remain from Drexler's vision of nanotechnology.

It turned out to be harder than Eric and others thought.  I suspect
that the main center of work has moved to China.

snip

>  and convince the better half we both should do it.

My wife, who is a professional editor, also read Eric's drafts, We
read them to each other while on long trips.  If she was not driving,
she was wielding a red pencil.  She is the detail-oriented one of us
and took the lead in getting us and our daughter (two years old at the
time) signed up.  If you want to introduce wives on zoom, you have my
email.

Keith