[ExI] Red light for aging eyes

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Tue Jul 28 23:11:52 UTC 2020

Quoting Keith Henson:

> That's already happening.  Like my Mom, I developed age-related
> macular degeneration at about the same age.  She went more or less
> blind, could not read, a disaster since she was an author.

Lately there has been a lot of chatter about photobiomudulation
therapy using 670 nm deep-red/ near-infrared light to halt and even
reverse age related damage to the retina such as AMD, glaucoma, and
RP. I think the consensus theory about how it works is that it
stimulates mitochondria to fight oxidative stress in the photoreceptor
cells of the retina, preventing them from dying.

Here are some links to the science:
https://www.mdpi.com/2077-0383/9/4/1001/pdf
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/06/200629120241.htm
https://joovv.com/blogs/joovv-blog/red-light-therapy-protecting-healing-eyes-preventing-vision-loss

A few days ago, I hooked up a 40W 660nm deep red LED light bulb sold
as a plant grow light in my room and I have been using it as my
reading lamp for a few minutes every night before bed. The 670nm
therapy bulbs cost hundreds of dollars, but the 660nm grow light cost
me $40 with shipping on Amazon. The spectral width of LEDs is about
50nm so I am getting plenty of 670nm light at a bargain price. The
results haven't been dramatic but I had not been diagnosed with
anything prior so it is more a preventative for me than anything else.
Plus I think it takes about two weeks for the effects to become really
noticeable. But so far it has made my eyes feel more "comfortable" and
I haven't gotten any migraines since I started using it so I will
report back in a couple of weeks.

Stuart LaForge