[ExI] speaking of the world reaching in, how about those seed packets from China? WTF?

robot at ultimax.com robot at ultimax.com
Wed Jul 29 22:07:50 UTC 2020

some say this mystery-seeds-from-China thing is just some fraudsters'
scams exploiting a bug in Amazon.

Or that it's "Gaslighting"  (A word I don’t use often enough-somehow I
managed to grow up without seeing the Ingrid Bergman movie so I missed
that meme.)

The fraud seems like a stretch to me.  Also I know that Asian "murder
hornets" showed up out of the blue in the Pacific Northwest this winter.
  So I've been having unsettling thoughts about clandestine bio-warfare
or eco-sabotage.

Being a good SF reader and engineer, the very first thing thought of,
after the echoes of "WTF?" died away, was a certain classic SF short
story from 70 years ago.

So, speaking of old memes, we're about to enter what used to be called
"the silly season" (old print newspapermen's term for the slow period in
late summer when anything could make the front page for lack of serious
news).  This idea was ingeniously turned into a sci-fi-horror story,
something I *did manage to read* as a kid, "The Silly Season" by the
inestimable Cyril M. Kornbluth:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silly_season#References .
Heinlein thought it was good enough to include in one of the anthologies
he rarely edited, /Tomorrow, The Stars/ (1952). It may have inspired
RAH's own "Year of the Jackpot" that same year.

In politics, the "Silly Season" is often followed by the "October
Surprise".

K3