[ExI] Is a copy of you really you?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 16:23:54 UTC 2020

Hi Robin,

Thanks for this info.  I am not much of a reader of novels, so haven’t read
this book.

But do you talk about “eefing of the ineffable” or merging consciousness at
all?

For example, if you had a neural ponytail
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0mAKz7eLRc&t=125s> that functions like
the corpus callosum (only instead of just computationally binding 2
hemispheres, It would merge 4), you could then experience all of the
experiences, not just half.  This would let you know things like if your
redness was like your partner’s greenness and such.

I agree there will be lots of copies, but they will also be
“computationally bound”, and such, so more like one larger individual
consciousness (the way our brain has two computationally bound hemispheres
for one individual), than multiple individuals.

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 3:02 PM Robin D Hanson via extropy-chat <