[ExI] Well-roundedness and character

Bill Hibbard hibbard at wisc.edu
Thu Jun 4 19:51:28 UTC 2020

Spike wrote:
> I showed him my differential equations book from college, a subject over
> which I sweated bullets after three years of college math, including the
> calculus series.  He is tearing through that like a hot chainsaw thru
> butter.  So I scanned and archived the pages of his notebook, to show
> that yea verily, there are talented 8th graders who can get this stuff.

Brings back memories. In 1962 I nearly flunked 8th grade
spelling (got an "E", do they give E's anymore?) but my
spelling notebook was filled with calculus, learned from
my dad's Granville Smith and Longley. My 7th grade math
teacher, whose principal subject was shop, routed me to
low-track math for 8th grade. Fun times!

Best wishes to you and Isaac!

Regarding the U of C dropping SAT and ACT, the son of a
friend skipped school every day in high school, skipped
college altogether, and is now a very successful computer
programmer. And I believe that Eliezer Yudkowsky skipped
college but has been very effecive.