[ExI] Well-roundedness and character

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Jun 13 02:33:35 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2020 4:51 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Well-roundedness and character

>>…You can do some interesting tricks with these low-cost DNA tests, but perhaps the most important one of all is that it educates people about themselves.  It did that for me.

spike

>…If one is totally free of racism, then it should not matter what color your ancestors were.  As a matter of historical interest, sure.   bill w

Ja, it allowed me to find out extremely detailed bits of history I never would have understood or cared about had I not discovered the history.  It has led to learning some astonishing detail in obscure historical narratives, incidents which have been recorded perhaps once in millions of history books.

Regarding that finding on my great^3 grandmother, I read the account by looking up the only reference I could find to her name, year of birth and state of birth, read the story, vaguely concluded this was someone else, later found out she was the subject of that story, recorded in one family history book written perhaps 100 years ago, in a print volume in the Sutro genealogical library.  I found the story by looking up a name, read the story because it was interesting, found out 30 years later that was my own ancestor.

I like knowing about that.