[ExI] riots, was: RE: Is a copy of you really you?

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 06:29:14 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 1:06 PM Keith Henson via extropy-chat <

> There are two factors here.  First is getting infected which has been
> high for nursing homes (similar to ships), and second if you do get
> it, dying.  I have not seen this sorted out.

### Being in a nursing home is indeed a double whammy. First, most
residents are there because they are much sicker at baseline than
age-matched controls and therefore are hit harder if infected. And second,
nursing aides who change your diapers tend to smear all manner of
infectious agents on the butts of multiple residents per day, so if you
infect one, you infect all - this is only a minor exaggeration.

Failure to strictly quarantine nursing homes probably increased Chicom-19
mortality by tens of thousands in the US (and closing schools failed to
save a single life, but that's a different story).

If I get less lazy, I'll put together my interim C-19 summary and
literature review in a post soon.

Rafal