[ExI] Jimmy 'the Greek' Snyder

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Jun 5 17:17:55 UTC 2020

> On Behalf Of Will Steinberg via extropy-chat
ubject: Re: [ExI] Jimmy 'the Greek' Snyder

>…No police is a horrible idea just because the alternative is protection rackets as Rafal mentioned.  Good way for security forces to become WAY more militarized (competition) while also becoming basically the mafia.  In fact I'm sure a lot of private protection squads would be LITERALLY run by organized crime… Will

Since the start of the quarantine, I have been pondering the fact that we have built up cities with a population density high enough to make street traffic mostly impractical, social distancing nearly impossible and causing the proletariat to rely on mass transit, which we already know is inherently dangerous.

For safety reasons, that level of population density must come down.  We don’t know how exactly.

The biggest rioting is coming from those areas where population density is the highest.  The loudest calls to disband the police force is coming from those dense areas.

Suppose the local constabulary decides nearly unanimously that law enforcement is too dangerous as a way to make a living.  Or city governments decide to disband the force.  In that scenario, the really dense cities will likely start to empty out.  Living there or even working there has become too risky.

I predict that peak population density has passed, and peak motive to live or work in a high density area has passed.

Can anyone suggest a reason why either prediction is wrong?