[ExI] sat scores and musical tastes

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Jun 6 22:25:51 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] sat scores and musical tastes

>…Lol @ Spike discovering Sufjan Stevens XD

>…Decade or two too late my friend ��

Hi Will hey, I have been busy the last decade or two: finishing up a career, then being a fulltime parent.  {8^D

I am not alone: I can imagine plenty of music non-hipsters in our world today, who would like Sufjan Stevens if they ever heard of him.  A lot of us play our own CDs in the car and we are too busy with other matters at home, so we don’t know the latest hip sounds on Americaaaaan Top Fortyyyyyyyy (is Casey Kasem still doing those? (no I suppose not (he would hafta be about 90 yrs old by now (but we loved that radio show.))))

If you want a good laugh: my car still has a cassette tape player and it still works really well.  My cassettes are worn out so I don’t use them much now.

>…SAT scores only show how prepared you are to take the SAT.  Can be for a variety of reasons.  Some very very smart people who I know also did not great on the SAT…

Ja the argument claims that the prepared do better on the SAT, so it isn’t a fair test.  Sheesh.

OK cool, let’s look at it another way.  Suppose we could (somehow) prevent anyone from preparing, so everyone went into the SAT cold.  Then what would happen?  Would the spread be smaller?  Or just different?  And why do we assume that there is some kind of class thing going on?  My notion is that middle or lower middle class people are hungry but not too discouraged to try harder.  So they are the ones who really put their shoulder into the test prep and do well.  This would work against stratification of society with the same people generation after generation at the top, ja?

I have vague doubts there was any serious research that went into the chart.

It would make for a fun sociology experiment to try to make a real chart like this.

I can see a problem with trying to correlate these: most people don’t remember their SAT scores unless they were extraordinary and on the right end of the spectrum.

spike

Here it is:

https://www.labnol.org/internet/music-taste-linked-to-intelligence/7489/