[ExI] that's why

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 16:00:43 UTC 2020

We are always going to need people to meet fire with fire.  Violent people
won't stop just because you ask them too.  They have to be arrested and
contained.  I agree that cops often incite violence where there was no
threat of it before.  I see no reason for cops to go to a school unless
weapons are seen or are being used.  Send in the social workers!

I see no reason why cops should show up at protests in riot gear.  If the
situation turns nasty, with shooting and looting, then you will have kept
the riot gear cops nearby in reserve for just that reason.  Routine
protests should not find rifles in the hands of anyone.  Why should a
protestor show up with guns?  Who are they going to shoot?  Cops?  We don't
need protestors who want 'death by cop'.

I like the idea of the protestors policing the looters, but think most
won't do it, and looters will have weapons, so this is a job for cops, I am
afraid.

As for the mentally ill, perhaps police departments could have psychiatric
workers on call or on the payroll to go to incidents involving the mentally
ill.  When cops show up for that they only have one thing to use:  a gun.
I read where tasers just don't often work.  Take along someone who knows
what to do with mental patients.  If you get combative with them, they'll
get combative with you.  I worked as an aide for three months in a big
mental hospital, so I do know something about this.  But you do have to
watchout for the paranoids, who will often have a weapon - then it's the
cops who have to deal with it.   bill w

Complete retraining for all cops starting now.  But who would retrain
them?  Same old same old?  Maybe professors in criminal justice have some
ideas (don't they always?), and some might even be good.  Professors aren't
always lost in the ivory tower.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 10:37 AM Darin Sunley via extropy-chat <