[ExI] that's why

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 15:59:30 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 11:37 AM Darin Sunley via extropy-chat <

> There's a basic structural problem with policing, as an institution. It is
> fundamentally the wrong solution for many of the tasks we've handed over to
> it.

There's certainly a mismatch between what we want police to do and what
they actually do.

> "Part of our misunderstanding about the nature of policing is we keep
> imagining that we can turn police into social workers. That we can make
> them nice, friendly community outreach workers. But police are violence
> workers. That's what distinguishes them from all other government
> functions. ... They have the legal capacity to use violence in situations
> where the average citizen would be arrested.

Police need to be more than one-trick ponies: hired thugs that violently
counter every threat, damn the collateral damage. It's not asking too much
that they be able to use violence as a last resort. The presumption of
innocence should apply to dealing with the public.

So when we turn a problem [i.e. homelessness, mental health, narcotics
> abuse, disruptive behavior in schools, etc] over to the police to manage,
> there will be violence, because those are ultimately the tools that they
> are most equipped to utilize: handcuffs, threats, guns, arrests. That's
> what really is at the root of policing. So if we don't want violence, we
> should try to figure out how to not get the police involved."

Yeah, in major metropolitan areas we could have separate departments for
all of those things. In the other 98% of the country, the police need to
wear multiple hats--at least as first-responders.

-Dave