[ExI] that's why

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Jun 8 20:48:37 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] that's why

>…Defunding police:  exactly the wrong thing to do.  I don't know what their thinking is on this, but we need more, not less:  1 - better pay equals better people applying for jobs, 2 - they need to hire or somehow fund the mental health workers I mentioned in my previous email  3 - they need more time for training 4 - they need to hire consultants to restructure police departments and training.  Probably more good reasons.  Defunding could lower cop pay.  It punishes the 99% plus majority of cops who are never brutal.  (again, I do not know the statistics)

bill w

OK but somebody somewhere has to try this experiment.  Theory has it that if they defund the police and use “the” money to fund re-education plans to help those who would otherwise turn to lives of crime find jobs, then all will be well.

I disagree for several reasons, but Minneapolis is going to try it, so I am glad we will get to see the theory being tested.  I might be wrong, and all will be well there.  I would be very pleased to be wrong.  Somebody somewhere has to test it, and I am glad that somewhere is far away from me.