[ExI] Jimmy 'the Greek' Snyder

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Jun 8 21:27:57 UTC 2020

> On Behalf Of Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat

>…For instance, immigrants in the US tend to commit less crime but suffer more crime than non-immigrants. This is so even though, as studies have shown, immigrants tend to under-report crimes committed against them. …

Ja, this is well known in my own community, which became a destination for Vietnamese people in the 90s.  A big problem was home invasion.  The explanation given to me by a Vietnamese friend is that these homes were far more likely to have cash (because they don’t trust the banks (imagine that)) and they are far less likely to report (because they don’t trust law-enforcement (imagine that.))

>… We generally don't see Mad Max: Fury Road playing out, but people usually helping each other… Dan

Ja again.  One of the big problems easily foreseeable is that plenty of cities will deal with their criminals by sentencing them to a one-way bus ticket to Minneapolis.

I might be wrong on this (I hope so) and all will be well.  But if not, then Minneapolis may find it is waaaay the hell more expensive to try rebuilding what they took down than it was to just keep it.  The new cops coming in can see this is a dangerous area and will want hazard pay.  Perhaps they will be rock-hard veterans of other dangerous areas going in to try to clean up a mess.