[ExI] Protest

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Jun 9 21:32:31 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] Protest

>…But it doesn't strike you at all as ironic that when protesting police misconduct, especially if as a protester you believe this is rampant and systemic, that you'd turn anyone over to the police?

Dan

There’s more to it than that.  Black Lives Matter are protesting a particular type of police misconduct: racially-motivated police brutality.  They don’t want to be conflated with these other groups who are taking advantage of them.

I need to look again, but as I understood it, the guy they handed over was white and the people they gave him to were not the police, they were national guard.

In any case, images are a powerful thing.  That one short video differentiated BLM from vandals, anarchists, looters and those who specifically want to harm law enforcement.  That one short video changed more minds than any fiery speech.  It demonstrated that BLM is us: they want to stop racism.  Well so do we.  They want fairness for everyone, regardless of race.  So do we.  We are all with Black Lives Matter.

We are against anarchy, against antifa, against vandalism, against harming police.  We are in unison with Black Lives Matter.