[ExI] No Recent Automation Revolution

Robin D Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Tue Jun 9 22:14:05 UTC 2020

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you know that for many years the media has been almost screaming that we entering a big automation revolution, with huge associated job losses, due to new AI tech, especially deep learning. … Last December, Keller Scholl and I posted a working paper suggesting that this whole narrative is bullshit, at least so far. An automation revolution driven by a new kind of automation tech should induce changes in the total amount and rate of automation, and in which kinds of jobs get more automated. But looking at all U.S. jobs 1999-2019, we find no change whatsoever in the kinds of jobs more likely to be automated. We don’t even see a net change in overall level of automation, though language habits may be masking such changes. And having a job get more automated is not correlated at all with changes in its pay or employment. Our working paper is now published in a peer-reviewed journal.

http://www.overcomingbias.com/2020/06/no-recent-automation-revolution.html
https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1bCkWbZedqLrV

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu<mailto:rhanson at gmu.edu>
Future of Humanity Inst., Oxford University
Assoc. Prof. Economics, George Mason University
See my books: http://ageofem.com http://elephantinthebrain.com