[ExI] hope it doesn't happen

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 19:20:45 UTC 2020

In my  30 years of teaching ending in 1997, I saw several black professors
hired, one in my department.  Not one was academically qualified.  The
faculty objected in every case and the dean said that if we wanted to get
paid, we had to show the legislators that we were serious about hiring
blacks.

I led a search committee for a new psych prof.  The first thing I was told
was to advertise in a black journal whose prices were out of sight.

When we picked our final candidate I was grilled repeatedly about the ads,
which got no response.  Our pay was way out of line with what qualified
black professionals could get at major universities.

So what we could get were the unqualified ones, and you can imagine that
they did not get a roaring reception by the faculty, all of whom knew the
circumstances in which the black profs were hired.

I can only see more of this happening.  White faculty will be pushed out,
white applicants will get little attention, until some quota is met in the
eyes of the authorities - legislature, president,governor, etc.

I hope that qualified blacks get exactly the same opportunities that other
qualified candidates get, but that won't happen.  What you will see is that
the frustration will be passed from the blacks to the whites.  Some will
think that's what should happen.

I, of course, treated the black profs at Montevallo the same as I treated
anyone, but they did not get that from everyone, I can assure you.

bill w