[ExI] Protest

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Jun 12 18:19:07 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] Protest

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 12:01 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

> John, everyone here is not political.

You could've fooled me!

>…Trump…

> As soon as you mention the name of any politician....

Odd... back when Obama was president I don't recall the mere mention of his name setting off a similar flow of angry comments.

John K Clark

Ja.  His name wasn’t mentioned often.  I didn’t remember his name, so I know I didn’t.  This is all US politics.  We have posters from all over the world.  Many of the most valued posters are not from the USA and aren’t interested in the minutia of our political system.  I am a US citizen and even I am not interested in the minutia of our political system.  I don’t know or care who is running Australia, Britain or Italy.  All of those places have valuable contributors.

As you already know, I do care about one particular aspect of American politics: the runaway debt.  It often feels to me like none of the current crop of politicians see the enormous risk growing with each oversized budget.  From that perspective, the current crop of politicians and parties are indistinguishable.

Do let us keep an international perspective.  We are science and technology people here with eyes on the future.  We just witnessed a rocket privately owned by a company take two guys to orbit.  For the first time in history, space exploration is becoming a commercial pursuit.  There is no reason to be pessimistic.