[ExI] Well-roundedness and character

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 22:37:33 UTC 2020

On Jun 12, 2020, at 3:13 PM, Darin Sunley via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

> I don't think race, per se, was an issue with the Irish. The issue was that they were, <gasp!> Catholic!
>
> Catholics tended to be treated as a lower species, and it didn't matter much whether they were pale redheads from the north or brown-skinned Mediterranean types.

I agree religion played a role, but it wasn’t an either/or here. The Irish were seen as both members of another faith and of another race. And their eventual integration into the broader White community involved differentiating themselves from African Americans in the eyes of other Whites. There’d be little need for such differentiation if they were already seen as White. And there were Catholic groups in America before the Irish started migrating in large numbers, particularly the French. The latter were viewed as Whites. Again, race is socially constructed. This is how French Catholics in Acadia were White whilst Irish Catholic immigrants in Boston or NY were not (for decades), and the pattern was repeated with Italian immigrants decades later.

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst