[ExI] police

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Jun 15 23:05:53 UTC 2020

> On Behalf Of Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] police

On Jun 14, 2020, at 7:48 AM, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

Hi BillW…The local constables (in general) never heard of any of it.

spike

>…Are you using ‘constables’ to mean ‘police’ or actual constables? If the former, it’s an example of the sort language change I mentioned earlier: the meaning of existing terms alters over time.

Regards,

Dan

Hi Dan, “constables” are city-level police, a general term that covers the SWAT team, the specialty stuff that city-level cops do.  At the county level are the deputies with the sheriff as their boss.  State level police are troopers, national level are Feds.  Four different types of police.

When my bride’s great great grandfather was slain in the line of duty at age 32, leaving two young children and a widow, he was referred to as Constable Blundell in the news articles because he worked for the city.