[ExI] police

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 19:38:24 UTC 2020

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst
On Jun 15, 2020, at 4:34 PM, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

> > On Behalf Of Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat
> Subject: Re: [ExI] police
>
> On Jun 14, 2020, at 7:48 AM, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
> Hi BillW…The local constables (in general) never heard of any of it.
>
> spike
>
> >…Are you using ‘constables’ to mean ‘police’ or actual constables? If the former, it’s an example of the sort language change I mentioned earlier: the meaning of existing terms alters over time.
>

> Regards,
>
> Dan
>

> Hi Dan, “constables” are city-level police, a general term that covers the SWAT team, the specialty stuff that city-level cops do.  At the county level are the deputies with the sheriff as their boss.  State level police are troopers, national level are Feds.  Four different types of police.
>
> When my bride’s great great grandfather was slain in the line of duty at age 32, leaving two young children and a widow, he was referred to as Constable Blundell in the news articles because he worked for the city.
>
> spike

How the term was used in your spouse’s great-great-grandfather’s time probably isn’t a guide for how it’s used now. For California law — and be prepared for some legalese — see:

http://www.clrc.ca.gov/pub/2001/MM01-09.pdf

Is this mistaken? Or is there some official local title in your area of constable?

You also keep using the term bride also to mean wife, I presume. Or is your marriage to her quite recent? I mean recent as a week ago or less. Again, an example of how language usage doesn’t adhere to the standard. (No problem for me as I know basically what you mean when you say “constable” or “my bride.” My point is why you have a hard time reading “fash” as slang for “fascist.”)

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst