[ExI] powerful image

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 01:01:59 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 5:34 PM Mike Dougherty via extropy-chat <

> On Mon, Jun 15, 2020, 4:45 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <
>
>> This is the end of my part of this thread.
>>

> Wow. I wonder if anyone else reading this thread would like to arbitrate?

There seems to be nothing to arbitrate.  Will has said his piece, and is
done.

> his use of language makes him sound racist and how that makes my wife
> immediately confrontational about it.

That's not his error.  That's your wife's, and maybe yours.

For anyone else that might explain how this thread could go so wrong in two
> replies... what is the nature of the difficulty here?
>
> Was my point so poorly made that offense was the only way to react?

Your mistake is in insisting - demanding - there is racism where there is
none.

"Your words make you sound racist" when there is in fact nothing racist
about the words, is an attack.

Check his words again:

"The reason for 'them' and 'they' is that they are different from me in
ways that are significant to me.  Morally. Theirs is a different culture.
And I don't want to be considered any part of it.  I am not a part of the
relativism movement in moral philosophy."

He considers the black people he has personally encountered to be different
than him.  Not "worse", not "inferior", and certainly not "should be
legally segregated" or "okay to brutalize".

Also note he earlier said:

"The only black people I have ever known in any capacity have been low
class people - laborers on the farm or at the railroad station and so on,
most of them illiterate.  I cannot speak for blacks of higher classes, but
from my limited experience I can attest that for kindness of heart they are
at least our equals."

So he's talking about a different social class than he is in.  Of course a
different social class would be different, regardless of race.

What he is saying boils down to, "my personal experience confirms the point
of view that black lives are moral lives too".

Note that "black lives are moral lives too" is part of the meaning of
"Black Lives Matter".