[ExI] #RebootThePolice

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 12:39:56 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 8:15 PM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <

*> Is Elizier still on this list?  *

If he is on the list he isn't posting, unfortunately it's been a long time
since he has.

> *> His suggestions on this topic seem worth debating.*
>

> https://medium.com/@yudkowsky/a-comprehensive-reboot-of-law-enforcement-b76bfab850a3

Elizier said "*One of my acquaintances recently mentioned that many of the
bullies he knew in high school went on to join police forces*". I'm not the
one that mentioned that to him but I have a similar story.

I'm 4 or 5 inches taller than average but there was a huge notorious bully
that I knew in grade school and high school that made me look like a
midget, I received more than one bruise from that jerk as had many others.
He was on the football team and, although his grades were poor, socially he
was at the very top of the school pecking order in both grade school and
high school.

Over the years I kept running across his name in the newspapers, It seems
that immediately after graduating from high school he became a city of
Miami police officer, after being a cop for about two years he was caught
on tape taking bribes and conspiring with South American drug cartels to
import cocaine into the US. He was convicted and sent to prison, I don't
know for how long.

About 25 years later his name showed up again, he was firing a gun in the
air out of the window of his apartment, the police were called and as they
were making their way up a stairway he fired a shotgun in their direction.
Miraculously he didn't hit any of the police officers but he was sent back
to prison, the article said he had "a long criminal record" but didn't go
into any details.

A few years later he made the news yet again, he got into a fight with a
prison guard and was injured and had to spend a week in the prison
hospital. After that they sent him to solitary confinement aka "the hole"
for a month as punishment. When he got out of solitary he filed a civil
lawsuit against the guard that had injured him. The suit was thrown out of
court almost immediately. Three or four years after that I read his brief
obituary, it didn't mention the cause of death.

John K Clark