[ExI] Processing food was Re: police etc.

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Jun 19 03:33:07 UTC 2020

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of
Keith Henson via extropy-chat

>> In our times, we have a lot of uses for customer service call centers...

>...You need to be on broadband to work tech support.  Not sure how much of
West Virginia is wired up.  There is a big area around Greenbank

Green Bank WV: the "secret" underground bunker for congress should we have a
nuclear war.  I have long suspected that whole business was a cover story of
some sort.  But it could be true I suppose.  I don't know how to verify.

>...where WiFi is illegal...Keith

Keith since those DNA tests came along, a bunch of us distant cousins found
each other and we have an email circle (plus some Face Book pages.)  Most of
my WV cousins have DSL, and they complain that it slows down a lot when the
neighbor starts downloading the latest porno video.

This is a photo I took of my great grandmother in 1967 when I was age 6 and
she was 81.  She and a spinster daughter were still running the farm where
my grandfather and his 8 siblings grew up, in that house in the background.

They didn't have electricity out there until after the war, but even in the
1960s they didn't really use it much.  They had a refrigerator, but not
laundry machines (still used washboards then.)

Granny is making apple butter in this enormous copper kettle she had.  She
would build a fire underneath it with branches or scrap lumber to stew the
apples until it was just right, then they would put it in jars and store it
under the house for the coming winter.

I don't remember much about my cheerfully misspent childhood, but I remember
this day, because Granny's world was so different from mine.  In those days
it was all about getting into space in my world.  In hers, it was about
working the garden, getting the vegetables and apples preserved for the
coming season.

I remember comments she made.  She would put two new silver dollars in with
the apples while they stewed, to be recovered afterwards.  She claimed the
silver dollars would prevent the apples from sticking to her copper kettle.
She said the newest silver dollars didn't work for some reason, so she had
to get the ones from about 1964 or earlier.

Their lives were far different from mine.  If Granny were here today, right
now, she would be astonished to see a picture of herself on this TV-like
machine (she never owned a TV but knew what they were (she had a radio (so
when I saw her in 1969 and mentioned the men walking on the moon she
commented "Oh I heard about those fellers doing that.")))  Theirs was a
different world.