[ExI] Processing food was Re: police etc.

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 00:54:59 UTC 2020

<spike at rainier66.com>

snip

> In our times, we have a lot of uses for customer service call ?centers? which do not need to be ?centers? in the sense that employees would need to be in any particular place.  MicroSloth for example has tech support all over the planet.  I have heard that one can request tech support in any language, even the obscure stuff.  Not Xhosa perhaps, but Swahili, and Rotokas and that sorta thing.

You need to be on broadband to work tech support.  Not sure how much
of West Virginia is wired up.  There is a big area around Greenbank
where WiFi is illegal.

> The county where my grandparents lived and my parents grew up is way the hell and gone out in the Appalachians in West Virginia.  Oh mercy, and the reason I mention it is that if one lives there, 9 bucks an hour will provide one with more money than most locals: from their point of view, you have more money than you know what to do with, which is why you aren?t seen out on the front porch shucking corn and stringing beans, the way plenty of them do back in that part of the world: the do a lot of their own food processing at home, starting with garden produce and bulk vegetables.

I have done this.  We had a substantial garden, raised rabbits,
chickens, ducks, geese, goats, and I baked all the bread we ate for
years, made cheese.  Providing a serious part of the food we ate
burned through an amazing amount of time.  For most of that period, we
didn't have a TV.

My parents grew up on farms.  I have plenty of stories from those
days.  Life was hardscrabble in the best of times.

> Those areas are very poor, but safe: you can go thru there and never really feel in danger.  The population densities are not high anywhere.

Relatively safe anyway.  The murder rate for the state is around 4 per
100,000 which is around 1/4 of Chicago or Oakland.

> You have posted comments that make it sound like you are struggling.  But there must be call-in product support jobs available anywhere, and rural America is anywhere.  Homes are cheap out there.  This is a common sight: ladies out there coring apples, peeling potatoes and stringing beans.  Even more common is to see two or more of them out there visiting and enjoying each other?s company as they work.

There are reasons people pack into cities.  One of them is medical
care which is very hard to get in the rural areas.

> See that device on the stool in the foreground?  Ya don?t even know what that is, do yas?  HA!  Summer children!  Well, OK, I don?t either.  I think it is an apple coring machine or a manual particle accelerator or something.

Sheesh, Spike, I _have_ one of them.  I had two before giving one away
last time I moved.  They peel, core, and slice apples in one pass.
This is a more elaborate model than any I have seen.

The peelings should have gone into a tub to be taken to the hog pen.

Keith