[ExI] Processing food was Re: police etc.

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Jun 19 15:01:20 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of John Clark via extropy-chat
Sent: Friday, June 19, 2020 7:00 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Processing food was Re: police etc.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 8:57 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

>>> The once secret underground bunker for congress is in Greenbrier WV, Green Bank WV is 96 miles away and contains the nation's largest radio telescopes, that's why Wi-Fi is  illegal there. John K Clark

>> Ah, that would explain why I couldn’t find it.  John do you buy that story of the Greenbrier bunker?  That would be one hell of a big facility to support 400 congress critters and probably hangers on.  Reliable sources say it is true.

>…Yes I buy it, I'm old enough to remember Duck and Cover drills in grade school that were supposed to protect me from H bombs…

I too am old enough to remember duck and cover drills, along with the cartoon they showed us in school of the Mikey the Monkey that evil communist bastard, who put stick of dynamite on a fishing pole and tried to blow up Bert the Turtle, but Bert did the duck and cover, so he was OK, but Mikey blew himself up so thoroughly, they never found a shred of his corpse.

I attempted to explain this whole thing to my younger friends, who were certain it as a drug-induced hallucination.  Fortunately… the internet never forgets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqXu-5jw60

Understatement, the internet remembers stuff we long since forgot.  It breathes life into long forgotten collective madness.

By the time I hit first grade, that bit of unpleasantness in 1962 was in the past (when we hung our toes over the sheer precipice of nuclear annihilation with Cuba.)  A teacher came in and showed us that Bert the Turtle film on one those rattly old film projectors (young people ask your grandparents) then explained why they didn’t make us do duck and covers: the bombs are much bigger now than they were when Bert took cover in his shell with their paltry A-bombs, so don’t worry about it, he calmly reassured us, there is no surviving an H-bomb now go out and play.

No wonder the 60s were so weird: we were raised believing we could die at any moment and there was nothing we could do about it.  So… might as well enjoy the moment.  Recreational drugs became very popular.

Now of course we don’t do that anymore.  Instead, we brutally scare the wits out of first graders with the new duck and cover, in the form of armed intruder on campus drills, teaching them equally-useless procedures, arranging future clientele for future psychologists.  There is no madness like collective madness.