[ExI] kiwis keeping it real

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 22:11:50 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 11:48 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> *From:* extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> *On Behalf
> Of *Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
>

> *>>…*All of these proposals violate both the letter and the spirit of the
> bond measure.  We do not have the option of spending bond measure funds on
> anything besides what the voters chose.  It isn’t a big pile of money to be
> used for the current needs, there is no THE money.
>
> >…Couldn't you just, after the speaker is done, acknowledge and thank them
> and comment, "Unfortunately, what you propose would be illegal for this
> committee, so we can not consider it.  You would have to propose it to the
> (city/county) council as a new project instead.  Next speaker."?
>

> >…They're done speaking, so they can't reply.  When you give that same
> response over and over again, some people might start to understand that
> yours is not a useful venue for proposing alternative projects…
>
> Ja, that is pretty close to what we do.  Then the same yahoos show up at
> the school board meetings and say the same things.  The school board kicks
> them back to us, already knowing we will kick them back to the school
> board.  Eventually they get the message.  Sometimes.

Well that seems easy enough to fix.  Show up at a school board meeting and
say something like the following.

"On multiple occasions, [name of your committee] has been asked to
reallocate funding.  It would be illegal for us to do so, due to [cite the
regulations by number and perhaps title].  We have been informed that a
majority of these cases stem from this school board requesting that people
with funding proposals take their concerns to our meetings.

"We therefore formally request that this board immediately cease and desist
directing people to ask us to break the law.  If this continues, we shall
refer the matter to legal counsel."

Specifically use the words "break the law".  According to what you have
described, the matter is that serious.

That is, of course, assuming the school board could legally consider the
proposals.  If not, then you shouldn't be referring them to the school
board either.