[ExI] all of them

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Tue Jun 23 20:48:27 UTC 2020

The whole thing is unutterably stupid. The past is past. Statues are
just lumps of stone or metal. If someone proposed putting up a statue of
Adolf Hitler, with a plaque at the bottom saying "Remember what he did",
I don't doubt there would be an uproar. But I would be in support of
such a statue. We do need reminding.

Instead of pulling down statues of the likes of Cecil Rhodes, we should
be taking the opportunity to educate people about the things they did,
both good and bad. Pull them down, and we forget. And make the same
mistakes again.

I've no problem with having a class of memorials that are 'shame
memorials', but destroying them altogether? That's just wrong.

--
Ben Zaiboc