[ExI] , Morality experts

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Tue Jun 23 20:23:43 UTC 2020

On 23/06/2020 20:45, John K Clark wrote:
> The US Conference of Catholic Bishops is complaining about several
> promising COVID-19 vaccines because they were manufactured with the
> help of cells from a fetus that was aborted way back in 1972. It's too
> bad these experts on morality didn't express the same moral outrage
> when they heard about sexual abuse of young boys by their priests.
>
> Vaccines that use human fetal cells draw fire
> <https://science.sciencemag.org/content/368/6496/1170?rss=1>

The biggest problem with this, as I see it, is not the immediate issue
of condemning a promising vaccine (which is bad enough), but the much
more serious and longer-term one of stigmatising an entire field that
should be taken seriously, but because of these religious idiots, is
more likely to be either derided and ignored, or cause confusion for the
majority of people.

Genuine ethical concerns about new technology are routinely conflated
with superstitious beliefs and prejudices. This is leading to babies
being thrown out with bathwater. I've even caught myself thinking
"ethics, schmethics", but then realised that there actually are genuine
ethical concerns that need to be addressed. Just not by
religiously-motivated 'bioethicists'.

What we need is a way to claim back morality and ethics from religion,
and turn them from obeisance to an imaginary tyrant to concern for
people's well-being.

--
Ben Zaiboc