[ExI] , Morality experts

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 23:37:37 UTC 2020

On Jun 23, 2020, at 2:36 PM, William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

> Them:  God said it in the Bible so it must be true according to the experts on the Bible.
> What do you have for credibility?  What's your morality based on? What makes it right?

Therein lies a big problem because abortion isn’t literally mentioned as a sin or as bad in the Bible.

> Many Catholics are ignoring the church's doctrines, esp. about birth control, divorce and other things.  So some of them are appealing to reason, not to the church.  The church is weakening, partly because of all the exposes about child molestation.  Check out church attendance in Ireland, for example.  bill w

To be sure, with any religious group, doctrinal determinism — the idea that members will adhere rigidly and religiously (pun intended) to the doctrines of their religion doesn’t hold. In fact, this even applies when they know and can recite clearly said doctrines. This doesn’t just apply to stuff like abortion, contraception, and sex, but to more mundane things like believing in luck.

D. J. Slone goes over this in his _ Theological Incorrectness: Why Religious People Believe What They Shouldn't_. It’s pervasive and not limited to Christians. He even uses Buddhists in his examples. My guess is it’s typical of all times to hold a religious (or other) doctrine and not practice it, especially when the doctrine is costly to practice but even if it’s just inconvenient.

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst