[ExI] Russians bots at work again?

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 18:11:54 UTC 2020

On Jun 27, 2020, at 8:01 AM, SR Ballard via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
> Conspiracies never die. It might be bots but also conspiracies do this by themselves anyways.
>
> SR Ballard

I wouldn’t say they never die, but they do tend to stick around long past their debunking. Today, of course, it’s much easy for them to stick around given quick and easy access to them online.

I think there’s also more a conspiratorial mindset. People who have this to a large degree tend to be much more immediately accepting of a given conspiracy theory and tend to have very high bars for falsification. There seems to be some evidence of this given that people who believe one conspiracy theory often will be easy sell on others. (To be fair, though, conspiracy theories are fairly widespread — not relegated to the lunatic fringe or one section of the political spectrum or even to particular income or education levels.)

That said, I don’t mean to imply that there are no conspiracies. There definitely are, but there tend be much more mundane* and not global in reach.

By the way, again, I’d like to bring up Jesse Walker’s _The United States of Paranoia: A Conspiracy Theory_. He goes over conspiracy theories from Colonial times to today in America. (I’d like to see a more global treatment because US-Americans certainly aren’t peculiar in this fashion.)

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst

* Think of any bank job involving more than one person. Definitely a conspiracy, but not one involving world leaders or likely to change the fate of nations.