[ExI] Russians bots at work again?

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sun Jun 28 04:13:07 UTC 2020

Quoting Spike:

>> There is a reason why I went off on that tangent: lawmakers do not
>> know how to define that term either.  They are sure assault rifles
>> are bad, but they cannot distinguish between assault rifles and
>> non-assault rifles.  Can you?  How?

In the military parlance, an assault rifle is generally considered to
be a gas-operated, magazine-fed, automatic rifle of medium range,
small to medium caliber, and light weight capable of being carried and
served with a full complement of ammunition by an individual
infantryman.

Machine guns, on the other hand, are generally belt-fed large-caliber
crew-served automatic rifles often mounted on tripods or bipods
needing at least two infantrymen to transport with ammunition and
generally used to defend positions rather than during a mobile assault.

That being said, when dealing with politicians rather than military,
the term of art seems to be "assault weapon" which is certainly more
nebulous and arbitrary. Of course these are the same lawyers and
politicians that classify tomatoes as vegetables for bizarre purposes
related to taxation despite the fact that they are scientifically fruit.

Of course who cares about facts anymore in this age of
emotionally-driven identity-politics?

Stuart LaForge