[ExI] competition markshumanship

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Jun 29 18:58:51 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] competition markshumanship

>>…If there is a single sport that men have the lowest inherent advantage, it would be that one.  I have some fun details on that last comment if you want them… spike

>…Details, details Spike

bill w

Over three decades ago, when I was younger than I am now, I worked for an engineer from Jordan, Daleed Aman.  He was the oddball exception to every rule and pre-conceived notion: his favorite hobby was old west re-enactments and competitions.  He was the only non-white-bread person at any of these, but he loved it, collected antique shootin arns, did the whole thing.

He went to one of the competitions where they set up an old west town with the movie-set props and all that.  The competitors had to play marshal, where the bad guys had done a big robbery and they were gunning for him in particular.  They had pop-up and pop-out targets where the competitor had to make a shoot/no shoot decision, because some of the targets were towns-people, ladies with babies and such.  They used period-piece six-shooters, the works.

They had to walk down the main street in period costume, two weapons for a total of 12 available rounds, then they had placed a loaded shotgun propped against a well for the last targets in on the simulated main street.

It sounded like more fun than a barrel of monkeys.  This one year, Daleed came back so excited: the competition was completely dominated by a 16 yr old girl.  She was really good, accurate, fast as lightning with the six shooter (they get points for minimizing the time it takes to slay the target (which inherently favors younger competitors.))

Daleed left the company and went into business selling antique ammo reloading equipment as a primary line, and reloaded antique ammo as the bread and butter steady money-maker.

This all has a fun aside for technology fans.  Daleed had commented that in his side-hustle, the biggest bite out of his profit was taken by advertising costs.  In 1991, I had been introduced to the notion of HTML on the then-new World Wide Web.  I came in to the office, mentioned it to Daleed, who realized if it ever amounted to anything it could carry some of the load on his ad costs.  The WWW amounted to something, it took down his ad costs, his side-hustle became a viable business, he left being a mechanical design group supervisor and took up the antique shootin arn biz full time.