[ExI] The Japanese mystery: why so few COVID cases?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Jun 29 20:04:37 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of John Clark via extropy-chat
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2020 12:46 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com>
Subject: [ExI] The Japanese mystery: why so few COVID cases?

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 3:34 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

> One wonders what Belgium did so wrong.

"Belgian officials say they are counting in a way that no other country in the world is currently doing…

I can think of at least one other country which counts that way:

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/coronavirus/white-house-taking-very-liberal-approach-counting-covid-19-deaths

>… counting deaths in hospitals and care homes, but including deaths in care homes that are suspected, not confirmed, as Covid-19 cases…

The USA did that too.  Notice how difficult it is to find per capita covid death rates per capita.  Nearly any site which provides that will include the caveat that counting methods count.

>… According to Belgium's latest official figures, out of 7,703 deaths, 53% have been in care homes. [...] Another factor is that many more people here put loved ones in care homes than elsewhere in Europe."

We do that in the USA as well.  Our elder-care death count is pretty similar to Belgium’s.  New York’s is way worse than Belgium.  NY’s elder-care policy was insane.

Coronavirus: Why so many people are dying in Belgium? <https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52491210>

John K Clark

Death rates shouldn’t be combined by country, they should be counted by jurisdiction.  The US Federal government does not have much say in how states run their medical systems.  The states should be counted separately because they are the level of jurisdiction on much of the covid policy.  A US president has very little say in the matter.

However… that method makes New York and New Jersey look really bad.  Counting by jurisdiction, New York becomes the worst in the world.