[ExI] marksmanship

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Jun 29 22:11:01 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Subject: [ExI] marksmanship

>…I understand all those reasons for being good at it, but I still think that the people with very superior vision will be at the head of the class.  All the other skills seem learnable to me - not nuclear physics.  So the difference at the top of the class is genetic.

bill w

Not nuclear physics?  Why is it not nuclear physics?  It was a surprise to me to find out when you really start digging in, nuclear physics isn’t as difficult as chemistry: there are fewer particles to memorize.  Down at that level, everything works very logically and predictably.  The math models are well-understood and they work to several digits of precision.

Top level markshumans are (somehow) aware of their own heart rhythms.  They don’t actually control them, but they work with their own hearts, according to some sources.  Fun exercise, if you get a good analog weight scale, stand on it and watch your weight bop around by about a quarter of a pound as the heart shoots blood toward your head.  Now get a good laser-enabled rifle and watch how your aim point also moves with your pulse.  I don’t know how the hell those straight-shooters do it, but they do it.

Nuke physics isn’t more difficult than other fields, BillW, it isn’t as difficult as yours, psychology.