[ExI] The Japanese mystery: why so few COVID cases?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Jun 30 14:55:45 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] The Japanese mystery: why so few COVID cases?

On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 at 14:00, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

>>... If we find that UV or a particular frequency of light kills covid, we can create a machine that is like dialysis: the blood could come out one artery, be pumped thru a transparent glass manifold where the light could destroy the virus, then the blood could be pushed back into a vein...

>...There are now robots in use which use UV-C light to kill coronavirus and disinfect rooms and warehouses.
Unfortunately humans dislike UV-C light so they have to wait outside.
<https://thenextweb.com/neural/2020/06/30/mits-coronavirus-killer-robot-uses-uv-c-light-to-disinfect-warehouses/>

BillK

Hi BillK, sure but why would they need to ever see it?  If we did UV therapy rather than respirators (which we know causes a great deal of damage) why not do the UV machine dialysis style, have it be a temporary kidney as well if necessary, and I suppose they could add nutrients and minerals to the blood on the way past the UV source.  Something like that might get a critically ill patient thru the worst of it, ja?

Perhaps the medics among us can explain why that wouldn't work.  Looks to me like it would.  If UV wrecks blood cells, well we could add some back from donors.  Tell ya: if we found something like this and the only thing holding us back was a shortage of blood, we could recruit blood donors like nobody's business.  I have seen a local scout organize a blood drive: so many parents and others who never give blood showed up to support his eagle project.  He packed the house.  It was an amazing success.

If it came down to something like UV therapy can save a covid patient assuming we have about 5 gallons of blood on hand, we can make that happen.  I would canvas neighborhoods and explain to people why we need lots of blood donors.

Hipsters, where are we on UV therapy for covid patients?  I am surprised we don't hear more on that.