[ExI] The Japanese mystery: why so few COVID cases?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Jun 30 19:52:28 UTC 2020

Subject: Re: [ExI] The Japanese mystery: why so few COVID cases?

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 12:14 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

> Vaccines are made by isolating a bunch of some pathogen, weakening it somehow so it can’t reproduce, inject the weakened and slain pathogen, the immune system reacts by producing antibodies, even if the pathogen is too weak to spawn. OK, suppose this UV wrecks covid but the treatment doesn’t actually remove the destroyed viruses, it only damages them beyond their ability to spawn.  Then the damaged viruses are still in the bloodstream, alerting the immune system but not replicating. My best guess on why this isn’t being done more is that we don’t have enough machines yet.

>…You're talking about a live virus vaccine and that's the oldest type of vaccine technology, and it's the riskiest because there's always the chance that you have not weakened the virus enough and will end up actually giving the disease to somebody instead of preventing it…

Of course.  In this case, if the UV doesn’t actually kill the virus, then it is a breakeven.  If it does, then the destroyed virus helps trigger the immune system.  That looks like a win/draw situation for each virus which comes into contact with the UV.

It really surprises me this is so controversial.  We already know how to take blood from a patient, do something to it (such as dialysis) then put it back in.  Seems like we could even modify an existing dialysis machine with something as simple as a UV source around a glass tube somewhere within.  Then we get to see if the covid dialysis patients recover better on those machines retrofitted with UV recover better than those whose machines do not have that retrofit.  This wouldn’t cost much, wouldn’t risk any lives at all as far as I can tell, and might point the way.

>.... Let's hope for the best.  John K Clark

As always.  If kidney patients help us discover the cure to covid, this is a good thing indeed.