[ExI] The Japanese mystery: why so few COVID cases?

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 22:48:35 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 3:55 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

*> It really surprises me this is so controversial. *

It does?!!

> > We already know how to take blood from a patient, do something to it
> (such as dialysis) then put it back in.  Seems like we could even modify an
> existing dialysis machine with something as simple as a UV source around a
> glass tube somewhere within.  Then we get to see if the covid dialysis
> patients recover better on those machines retrofitted with UV recover
> better than those whose machines do not have that retrofit.

For goodness sake Spike, if the UV light is intense enough to kill a virus
it's more than intense enough to scramble the genetic code inside human
blood cells that, unlike skin cells, never evolved pigment to protect them
from UV because they were never exposed to them before. To put it more
simply, doing what you suggest would be carcinogenic. Killing the COVID-19
virus is super easy and so is killing cancer cells, the hard part is to
kill them without also killing or mutating human cells.

John K Clark