[ExI] cognitive errors - again

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 23:30:53 UTC 2020

Many cognitive errors such as cognitive biases seem like heuristics that work well in many circumstances (often in the past) or seem like kludges. I doubt many of these are set in stone in the genome. It’s more like there’s a default setting that training or learning can overcome. For instance, by default, people seem bad at statistical reasoning, but they expend effort and learn to overcome this default setting. (An example? The availability bias. That seems to work well in some circumstances — one bad recent encounter with, say, a barking dog might make one wary of dogs.)

Some of these defaults seem to have strong survival value — like perceptual biases. Mistaking a bush for a bear is better than the opposite mistake and in low information conditions or rapid decision-making a bias might be better than no bias.

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst