[ExI] The Fermi Paradox

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 18:33:57 UTC 2020

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020, 10:05 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <

> On 06/03/2020 16:32, John K Clark wrote:
>
> Galactic clusters are the largest structures in the universe held together
> by gravity and the Ophiuchus Supercluster contains 4021 known galaxies,
> it's likely none of them contain life, much less intelligent life.
> Telescopes have seen evidence that the largest galaxy in the center of the
> cluster underwent a gargantuan explosion at least 240 million years
> earlier, it's 390 million light years away so the explosion happened at
> least 630 million years ago. It's thought that 270 million solar masses of
> gas and dust was sucked into the black hole at the center of the galaxy
> producing something equivalent to a supernova going off every month for a
> 100 million years. Something like that would probably sterilize not only
> the galaxy but the entire cluster. And Ophiuchus is relatively nearby so
> it's almost certain there are more distant clusters that suffered even
> larger explosions. It looks like the Milky Way has just been lucky.
>
> DISCOVERY OF A GIANT RADIO FOSSIL IN THE OPHIUCHUS GALAXY CLUSTER
> <https://www.icrar.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/2002.01291.pdf>
>
> John K Clark
>

> I'm wondering what are the chances that something similar will happen in
> our neighbourhood sometime in the future?
>
> If it does, what could our future selves do to survive it?
>
> There's a story by Greg Egan that has a similar premise. It's not
> encouraging.

I am reminded of stories where the last humans in a solar system took their
city mobile, sticking to the slim (and moving) spot on the planet that was
sufficiently shielded and life-compatible, with crews working the terrain
ahead so the city could stay on the march.