[ExI] perspective on covid

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Mar 8 23:14:02 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of John Clark via extropy-chat

>> The reason I don’t want to see the USA get into that situation is the US government is bankrupt.

>…Good god, at a time like this you're still worried about a trivial issue like the budget deficit?

Better evolution, yes.  At a time like always I am worried about a trivial issue like that.

> It has been operating under chapter 11 for decades, and there is no end in sight.

>…No not for decades but (except for 4 years) for neatly 2 CENTURIES the government has been "operating under chapter 11", and yet here we are with the strongest economy in the world. Do you really think that if faced with a devastating epidemic raging through his country, except for Bill Clinton in his last 4 years, every president in history should have just kept his hands in his pockets and done nothing? Somehow I think if this thing had hit 5 years ago you might be saying something slightly different about presidential actions or the lack of them…

I don’t recall ever saying anything about presidential actions or lack of them.  This isn’t the forum for that.  If you were to search, it would be easy to find places where that kind of trivia is discussed.

> none of the current candidates for anything of significance is even talking about balancing the budget.

And that includes Republicans, that's because for some unknown reason budget deficits only become existential threats during Democratic administrations…

Unless of course one is Libertarian, in which case they are always existential threats, regardless of administrations.

>…By the way, the news just broke that a man infected with COVID-19 virus attended a mass rally of the American Conservative Union on February 23, both Donald Trump and Vice Poodle Mike Pence were there. That's the meeting where Trump kissed and dry humped an American flag onstage.   John K Clark

How can we know for sure it was dry?

Don’t rely on the federal government John.  They aren’t there to help you or me.  They are there to help themselves.  Every party is that way.  Everyone who aspires to national leadership is that way.  Take precautions, minimize contact with crowds, use common sense.