[ExI] perspective on covid

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 14:57:03 UTC 2020

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 9:53 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <
extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrot

*> We are borrowing like mad just to cover normal expenses.  Interest rates
> are at unprecedented low levels.  US government debt is setting new records
> every day as a fraction of GDP.  The US is living on borrowed money. *

All that is true, but if you're theory is correct then one of those 4
sentences does not belong with the other 3, namely "Interest rates are at
unprecedented low levels". I must therefore conclude that your theory about
deficit spending is not correct. You didn't mention it but we also have a
very low inflation rate, and that fact is also not compatible with your
theory.

> *We are fooling ourselves if we think POTUS is the most powerful man on
> earth. *

Well... I sure can't think of any man more powerful.

*> There are so many restrictions now on what POTUS can do,*

But not *NEARLY* enough!

> * > hell he can’t even negotiate internationally anymore.*

Shure he can, he can even negotiate a trade with a foreign government of
military equipment paid for by taxpayers for a public statement that his
political opponent is being investigated, and the foreign government
doesn't even need to actually do an investigation, all they need to do is
issue a public statement that they are.

*> The next one will have it even worse.*

Worse? POTUS got away with it, and no doubt Donald Junior will get away
with it too after daddy dies and he inherits the crown.

*> The US was once the world leader in science and manufacturing, but isn’t
> now. *

Gee I wonder why.

Trump’s 2021 budget drowns science agencies in red ink, again
<https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/trump-s-2021-budget-drowns-science-agencies-red-ink-again>

Trump once again requests deep cuts in U.S. science spending
<https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/03/trump-once-again-requests-deep-cuts-us-science-spending>

 John K Clark