[ExI] Uploads

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 21:36:14 UTC 2020

Ben Zaiboc <ben at zaiboc.net> wrote:

On 29/03/2020 00:19, Keith Henson wrote:
> Fiction is a problem because
> if the entire race uploads (possible), you don't have characters in
> your story.

> Sorry, Keith, you've completely lost me there.

> Surely there's far more scope for storytelling in a world of uploads?
> The much wider range of environments, personalities, and plotlines that
> would be available?

> Greg Egan manages a whole novel where more than 90% of the characters
> and action are in an uploaded environment.

> What do you mean?

The essence of characters in a story is to identify with them.
Uploads, where the entities are much more than human (virtually
god-like), are impossible to identify with.  Or at least *I* don't
know how to write a story with characters about as advanced over
humans as much as humans are mentally advanced over, say, cats (or
maybe cockroaches).  I have no idea what might motivate them.

The medical AI, Suskulan, who runs the clinic in "The Clinic Seed" is
limited on purpose.

Keith