[ExI] Essential Upload Data (was: Subject: Boltzmann brains)

Re Rose rocket at earthlight.com
Thu May 7 16:24:30 UTC 2020

To Darin, I think these are interesting legal points, as I would not want
to be battling with a slew of uploads as to who gets to live my life and
who gets to be my slave - or die.

To John, I think you've gotten to technological magic, and I do not believe
in any case that we either live in a simulation or that we would be happy
in one. I don't think a simulation will ever get creative enough to be
human (ok, don't talk to me about Alpha GO. I can take either side of that
argument, but overall I think this side has more logical points).

We've come a long way since ELISA, by now we have all seen algorithms that
find unexpected and innovative solutions, like the chatbots who designed
their own language, or the machines self-playing old Atari games that found
ways to get superhuman scores by twisting the rules of the game. But even
in those cases you can see the innovation came from non-human computer
abilities, like iterative speed; or by setting unrealistic goal states.

In any case I do not care to come back in a simulation or game, to me that
would be the antithesis of being human~

To Ben, if he or anyone else is actually reading this far down, that's an
interesting idea, that the agent body would accomodate to the brain. I like
it! However - its calling on technology that is not defined in any way, so
I have to call it out as magic too at the moment. Unknown if its possible,
or if a newly uploaded brain would have any ability to direct the design of
an agent body. I've seen Hod Lifson's "spidery robot" and that thing is
unable to map its body very well at all, and, well....I'd just rather not
walk like that  :)

I stand by my hormone objection, as I think it would be difficult to
re-entrain all the hormone cycles in a person. While jet lag, hunger
(insulin) cycles, etc are simple and easily re-entrained, many others are
not (PCOS, mood disorders, some infertility, and estrogen dominant migraine
are a few that come to mind easily, there are others), and we can't forget
that the hormone cycles interact - another level of feedback. Reproduction
of chaotic systems is notoriously difficult as they are STIC (sensitive to
initial conditions). AFAIK that problem has not been solved except by
mapping the system grossly  into stable regimes, and finding ways to force
a system from one regime to another, which has been a difficult class of
engineering problems to solve. Perhaps when we can do that for people with
migraines or PCOS or similar, we can reconsider this issue in the light of
reanimation.

best
Regina

Message: 4