[ExI] schools, was: RE: Even India and Haiti do it better

Dylan Distasio interzone at gmail.com
Fri May 8 18:00:33 UTC 2020

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 1:47 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> My suggestion is to stop all public mass transit, all buses, taxis,
> trains, subways, everything.  Then, everyone else goes back to work and
> business.  I know that still leaves a lot of people out of work and out of
> luck.  I get that.  I don’t have all the answers.  But I have that one:
> public transit is the bad guy here, or certainly one of the very worst.
> Governors do have the authority to close subways and buses.

Spike, I can tell you that this is not a practical suggestion for NYC
unless you are planning on keeping it shuttered indefinitely until this
crisis is over, and even then you will need to set up special
transportation for essential workers to get to work.   Public transit is
the lifeblood of the city.  Too many people depend on it to get from their
homes in outer boroughs to their places of employment, and most people
don't have cars.   It's also an economic money pit to begin with that
someone will end up bailing out if revenue were to stay at zero long term
(Subway ridership is already down by 90% due to the lockdowns).