[ExI] Essential Upload Data

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Mon May 11 07:59:44 UTC 2020

On 11/05/2020 06:49, Rafal wrote:
> On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 9:37 AM John Clark via extropy-chat
> <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
> <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>> wrote:
>

>     I happen to think that's exactly what Alcor should be saying, but
>     the ghost of the discredited 19th century theory of Vitalism is
>     still haunting the 21th century and many still think that despite
>     all the scientific evidence to the contrary the atoms in our
>     bodies must somehow have our name scratched on them. I suspect
>     Alcor is reluctant to change because they believe ASC would be bad
>     public relations. But I think reality is more important than PR
>     and the Vitalism superstition could get people killed.
>

> ### Yes, I wish Alcor would offer ASC an an option, no matter what
> additional cost I would take it.
>
> Rafal

I have a question:

If aldehyde stabilisation cross-links proteins, why is cryopreservation
required? Wouldn't aldehyde stabilisation followed by inflitration with
a resin (like with electron microscope samples) work for preserving a
brain with no need for cryopreservation? This seems the ideal solution
to me, if it would work. Your brain could then sit on a mantelpiece (or
in a bank vault) until it can be uploaded, and you wouldn't need to rely
on an expensive and vulnerable (not to mention rare) cyronics facility.

--
Ben Zaiboc