[ExI] Essential Upload Data

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sat May 9 09:04:36 UTC 2020

On 08/05/2020 21:04, Adrian Tymes wrote:
> On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 9:56 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat
> <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org
> <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>> wrote:
>
>     I'm confident that omitting data from the original body won't have
>     any
>     significant effect on an uploaded mind. Apart from vague statements
>     about the body contributing to our consciousness, or our minds
>     'extending into' the body, I've not heard of any evidence, or
>     convincing
>     theory, to the contrary.
>

> A lengthy article about exactly this topic came across my inbox just
> today.  (I'm not sure if it's paywalled; please let me know if you
> can't read it.)
> https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/meet-psychobiome-gut-bacteria-may-alter-how-you-think-feel-and-act
> <https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/meet-psychobiome-gut-bacteria-may-alter-how-you-think-feel-and-act?utm_campaign=news_daily_2020-05-07&et_rid=17038235&et_cid=3318359>
nerve, which connects directly to the brain.

More indirectly, microbes  activate enteroendocrine cells in the gut
lining, which send hormones throughout the body.

Even more indirectly, gut microbes influence immune cells and
inflammation, which can affect the brain.

Yes, I'm familiar with the concept. The microbiome indirectly provides
another set of inputs to the brain. Doesn't change my argument (all
these things 'connect to' or 'affect' the brain. So do our muscle
spindles, pressure sensors in the skin, semi-circular canals, etc., etc.
It doesn't matter).

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the coeliac plexus (solar plexus),
which is sometimes referred to as our 'second brain' (a wild
exaggeration, as it's nowhere near as large or complex as the brain). It
controls the digestive system, acting as a sub-brain, in a similar way,
as far as I understand, to the cerebellum does with respect to movement
(although not in its structure or effective size). I very much doubt
it's important for uploading, though. I think that, as far as my solar
plexus has contributed to my personality, I'd be happy to have a
'standard model' version substituted for my actual one in an upload.

I've not yet heard a single good reason why more than the brain is
needed for successful upldoading (when the information from the brain is
combined with a default virtual body model (which only needs to be
created once, then slight variations of it could be made available to
everyone), and the whole thing is provided with a suitable virtual
external environment (which we already have many examples of)).

--
Ben Zaiboc