[ExI] [Ex] Hitler and Trump was Even India and Haiti do it better

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Tue May 12 23:00:16 UTC 2020

William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Huh?  What motivates stressed people is stress.  The problem with many is
that they don't have a lot of coping mechanisms and when those don't work,
anything looks good to try.

> But I do think that all this stress will, in the long run, be good for people.

Bill you completely miss the point of this post and related EP posts I
have made on Extropy Chat for the decade or two.  You are making a
level error here.

I am _not_ talking about the effects of stress on isolated
individuals.  What I am talking about is that a population (tribe to
nation) where a substantial fraction of the group sees a bleak future
will (as a group) head down the path to war or related social
disruptions.

A severe economic collapse in Germany was causal to the rise of
Hitler.  A slow downturn of economic prospects in the Red states was
causal to the election of Trump.

There doesn't seem to be a point in explaining again how these
psychological traits were selected in the stone age.

Keith