[ExI] Virus testing

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu May 21 15:33:58 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of John Clark via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] Virus testing

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 10:27 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

> we have taken a very liberal approach: counting anyone who dies with the virus and dying of the virus.

Almost certainly we are seriously underreporting the number of people who have died of COVID-19. Even if you subtract out the numbers that have officially died of COVID-19 the number of Americans who have died in late March April and early May is still nearly 50% greater than the number of Americans who died last year during the same months.

U.S. Coronavirus Death Toll Is Far Higher Than Reported, C.D.C. Data Suggests <https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/28/us/coronavirus-death-toll-total.html>

John K Clark

That approach mixes those who died by some consequence of the lockdown, which is indirectly related to the virus, failing to differentiate from those who died of the virus.  An example would be those who perish because they could not or did not get medical care for another condition.

Here is a letter signed by several hundred doctors (ironically addressed to someone who does not have the authority to open individual states, counties or cities) which seems pretty convincing to me:

https://disrn.com/news/mass-casualty-incident-600-doctors-sign-letter-to-trump-calling-for-end-to-coronavirus-lockdowns