[ExI] Summer weather and COVID-19

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Fri May 22 22:04:06 UTC 2020

On Fri, 22 May 2020 at 23:03, spike jones via extropy-chat <

> > *On Behalf Of *John Clark via extropy-chat
> *Subject:* [ExI] Summer weather and COVID-19
>

> >… that does not bode well for the recent rash of reopenings that have
> been urged by some politicians…John K Clark
>

> Some politicians may have their views, but over time, the citizens who are
> not politicians are increasingly deciding their lives must go on.  They
> open in defiance of government orders.  We see examples of it everywhere,
> and more every day.
>

> At some point, life must resume.  Society cannot survive without its
> workers.  Not everyone can do their work from home.
>

> Government influences us, but does not control us.  Most of the world does
> not live under totalitarianism.

Eventually, people will go back to work. But if people are reluctant to go
out and spend money because of fear if a deadly disease, jobs will be lost,
and then people will be even more reluctant to go out and spend money,
because their own job or their investments will be at risk. This is in
addition to the direct effects of the deadly disease. Eventually some sort
of equilibrium will be reached. It is the job of governments to try to
tweak the equilibrium point to be more more favourable, since they have
influence through regulation, spending and advertising. It isn’t obvious
what the best course of action is, but they can only act on the best
available advice.

> --
Stathis Papaioannou